Honey is naturally sweet and is made by several bees. Honey bees first collect all the sugary secretions of plants and insects and then they make honey out of this secretion by refining them.
Every 100g of honey contains 82 g of sugar in it. Honey is beneficial for improving body issues both in and out. In this article, we will be looking closer into how and why honey helps in curing a sore throat.
Sore throat is a common illness that we all are down with most of the time. Several factors are responsible for a sore throat. Though at times they may not be serious, these can trigger our mood and make us feel low.
Honey has great properties when it comes to treating sore throat. Honey is a great natural medicine that can treat many illnesses. It has antibacterial, antifungal, antidiabetic, anti-inflammatory, and several; other properties.
Honey For Sore Throat
To soothe a sore throat, honey can work wonders. You can use honey for sore throat in several ways. The first and simplest method is to have a teaspoon full of honey. This act as an effective cough suppressant too.
The other one is to mix a teaspoon of honey in warm water, tea, or warm lemon water. It is always recommended to give honey by diluting it in water to children of at least 1 year of age or older because it contains some bacteria that might harm children.
The anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties in honey are the reason why honey is used in treating sore throats. Honey can coat the throat and thus it suppresses the cough. This helps in reducing the inflammation in the throat along with reducing the irritation in your throat.
Honey also has the properties of reducing mucus secretion. It is generally recommended to have 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of honey 1-2 times a day to have maximum benefits. It would be better if it is taken after breakfast in the morning and before bed in the night.
Dark honey is comparatively good than lighter honey because dark honey has high antibacterial qualities. This antibacterial property in honey helps with the prevention of secondary bacterial infections in the chest area and throat area.
Some other methods to cure sore throat include, Having lots of fluids and staying hydrated, gargling with salt water, getting enough sleep and rest, trying different calming teas, and so on.
Some Other Benefits Of Honey
Honey is a superfood that has several properties on its own. It is used in treating many illnesses because it has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antifungal, antidiabetic, and anticancer activity.
- Due to high levels of antioxidants, Honey can prevent cancer and heart disease. The antioxidants present in honey can destroy oxidative stress and reduce inflammation.
- By using honey, you can easily heal wounds because it has anti-oxidant, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. Honey is acidic as it has a pH between 3.2 and 4.5. The blood will release oxygen with the acidic nature of honey and this is essential for healing wounds.
- Honey can be used effectively to treat stomach ulcers as it can work against the helicobacter pylori bacteria which is the common cause of stomach ulcers.
- Blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels are evenly managed and maintained by incorporating honey into your daily intake.
- The antioxidant properties present in honey enable us to maintain overall wellness by contributing to a healthy immune system.
- Honey can repair damaged hair. It provides shine and smoothens dry, frizzy, and unmanageable hair to more silky frizz-free, and manageable hair.
Through this article, we have had a basic understanding of what honey is and how it can be used in treating sore throats. Some of its other benefits are also mentioned and explained. Honey can undoubtedly be called a superfood because it has several nutrients in it.
Honey is a combination of fructose, glucose, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and enzymes. Thus this perfect blend of nutrients makes it a superfood having many properties in curing different ailments of the body.